Contracting Industry Redundancy Trust (ABN 18 414 343 407) (Cirt) is required to comply with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Act) and similar state legislation applicable to the privacy of individuals.
This policy describes how we manage personal information (which may include sensitive information) we hold about you. The Act defines personal information to mean information or an opinion (including information or an opinion forming part of a database) , whether true or not, and whether recorded in a material from or not, about an individual whose identity is apparent, or can reasonable be ascertained, from the information or opinion.
Sensitive information includes, but is not limited to, details of an individuals religious beliefs, membership of a trade union and health information.
Collection of Personal Information
Cirt will not collect personal information unless the information is necessary for one or more of its functions or activities. Further, Cirt will only collect personal information by lawful and fair means and not in an unreasonably intrusive manner. Cirt will collect information directly from the person about whom the information relates when it is reasonable and practical to do so. Where Cirt collects personal information about you from a third party, reasonable steps will be taken to ensure that you are made aware of how to contact Cirt to access your information, the purposes for which the information is collected, the types of organizations to which information is usually disclosed and any law that requires the particular information to be collected.
Cirts main function is to operate redundancy funds, although in the future, this may be expanded to include portable sick leave funds and portable annual leave funds.
In order to administer the funds, Cirt collects personal information about members directly from members as well as from members’ employers. The type of personal information collected by Cirt includes, but is not limited to:
- name, street, telephone number(s);
- date of birth;
- email address;
- salary; and
- tax file number
Cirt may also collect sensitive information from you, including information about your trade union membership.
Cirt also offers other services such as employment advice, counseling support and an insurance referral service. As part of these functions, detailed personal and sensitive information may be collected. If you seek any of these additional services from Cirt you may be asked to provide personal information for the purpose of providing the service.
Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
Cirt may use or disclose personal information for the primary purpose for which it was collected. If Cirt uses or discloses personal information for a purpose other than the primary purpose for which it was collected (the Secondary Purpose), to the extent required by the Act and any applicable state law, Cirt will ensure that:
- the Secondary Purpose is related to the Primary Purpose of collection (and directly related in the case of sensitive information), and you would reasonably expect that Cirt would use or disclose the personal information in that way;
- you have consented to the use or disclosure of the personal information for the Secondary Purpose;
- use or disclosure is required or authorised by law; or
- the use or disclosure is otherwise permitted by the Act and any applicable state law.
- it will prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to somebody’s life or health;
- that the disclosure is reasonably necessary for one or more of the following:
- the prevention, detection, investigation, prosecution or punishment of a criminal offence, breaches of a law imposing a penalty or sanction or breaches of a prescribed law;
- the enforcement of laws relating to the confiscation of the proceeds of crime;
- the prevention, detection, investigation or remedying of seriously improper conduct or prescribed conduct;
- the preparation for, or conduct of, proceedings before any court or tribunal, or implementation of the orders of a court or tribunal.
In order to operate the redundancy funds to ensure that the purposes of the funds can be fulfilled, Cirt may disclose personal information it holds. Specifically, Cirt may disclose personal information held by Cirt about members to organizations including, but not limited to:
- principal contractors on building sites;
- union representatives (including job stewards);
- employer association representatives;
- insurers (and their claims handling agents);
- employer members of Cirt;
- Government bodies including, but not limited to, Centrelink and the Child Support Agency; and
- third party service providers including, but not limited to, printing companies and document disposal agencies.
Cirt uses contractors to provide some of the services offered by it. Information disclosed to Cirt may be provided to such service providers. All contractors engaged by Cirt are required to abide by Cirts privacy policies.
Cirt may also use personal information we hold to provide details of promotional offers and special events. You may advise us that you do not wish to receive such material by contacting Cirt’s Privacy Officer using the details set out in paragraph 5 below.If you do so, Cirt will ensure that you do not receive any further promotional material.
Quality and Security of Personal Information
Cirt will take reasonable steps to :
- ensure that the personal information it collects, used or disclosed is accurate, complete and up to date;
- protect personal information it holds from misuse and loss and from unauthorized access, modification or disclosure; and
- destroy or permanently de-identify personal information if it is no longer needed for any purpose for which the information may be used or disclosed under the Act or any other applicable law.
Access and Correction
Cirt will generally allow you to access personal information it holds about you where practicable, and will take reasonable steps to correct any personal information that is inaccurate. There may be some situations where Cirt may not allow you to access personal information it holds about you, or may refuse to correct personal information. In these situations Cirt will provide you with reasons for this decision. Depending on the circumstances, a small charge may apply for costs involved in providing you with access to personal information about you.
If you have any questions concerning how Cirt handles personal information or wish to gain access to personal information about you held by Cirt, please contact email@example.com:
Additional Information for Users of our Website
If you visit www.cirt.com.au (Website) to read, browse or download information, our system may record information such as the date and time of your visit to the Website, the pages accessed and any information downloaded. This information is used for statistical, reporting and website administration and maintenance purposes only.
While we take great care to protect your personal information on our Website, unfortunately no data transmission over the internet can be guaranteed to be fully secure. Accordingly, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you send to us or receive from us online. This is particularly true for information you send us via email or by submitting information using the Website. We have no way of protecting that information until it reaches us. Cirt will not be liable in any way in relation to any breach of security or unintended loss or disclosure of information due to the Website being linked to the internet.
The Website may contain links to other sites. We are not responsible for the privacy practices, policies or content of those sites.
In this policy personal information and sensitive information have the same meaning as under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).
This policy represents our policy as at July 2010. We may change this policy from time to time by posting the amended policy on this Website. The amended policy will be effective upon being posted on this Website and access to this Website following any update of the policy will be deemed consent to the revised policy. Although we intend to observe this policy at all times, it is not legally binding on Cirt in any way. Form time to time we may regard it as necessary or desirable to act outside the policy. Cirt may do so, subject only to any statutory rights you have under the Act or other applicable legislation.